top of page

Employer-Sponsored Visas

482 Visa TSS (Temporary Skills shortage Visa)

This visa allows Australian employers to hire skilled international workers where they can not find an appropriate skilled Australian.


The TSS holder upon grant can work in Australia in their nominated occupation and may have a pathway to Permanent residency.

You may in or outside of Australia when you apply for this visa.

The 482 visa is a 3-step process:

  1. A sponsorship application by the employer. This business must be operating lawfully in Australia and must also meet the correct employment practices.

  2. Nomination Application: The employer needs to show the position is being filled, and efforts to hire an Australian but can't, and the genuineness of the position in the business

  3. A visa application: the visa applicant must meet the skills required for their occupation.


Your application may be on the medium-long term TSS Visa or Short TSS Visa. Below is the difference between them:

Medium Long term:

  • Pathway to Permanent residency (after 3 years)

  • No age limit

  • Need to meet the English requirement

  • Need to have 2 years experience and must meet the requirements in ANZSCO

  • The employer must pay the Australian Market Salary Rate

  • Before an application, to the sponsor, the employer tests the Australian Labour Market

Short TSS Visa:

  • Can only re-apply once after two years (for two extra years)

  • No Permanent resident pathway unless in a regional area

  • Must show an intention of temporary stay

  • Need to meet the English requirement 

  • Need to have 2 years experience and must meet the requirements in ANZSCO

186 Visa

The 186 visa is a PR Visa where an employer nominates an international worker that is suited to their business.

This visa is a two-step visa; a nomination by the Australian employer and a visa application by the skilled International worker.

You can be in or outside Australia at the time of application.


There are 3 streams of this visa:

  1. Temporary Residence Transition Stream: Where a 482 (or a 457 visa holder) has worked for their employer for 3 years in the same occupation and their employer wants to further offer them a permanent resident position in that occupation.

  2. Direct Entry Stream: Applicants who do not hold a 482 visa (or 457) but have at least 3 years experience in their qualification at a skilled level. In the occupation, their occupation must be on the 186 skilled occupation list.

  3. The Labour Agreement: is for applicants who have been sponsored by an employer through a labor agreement.


Other requirements:

  • You will need an English level of at least 6 IELTS

  • Age limit


494 Skilled Employer Regional Visa (Provisional)

This visa has 3 streams. Please see below to see which stream you qualify to apply for:


  1. Employer-sponsored stream:

For employers in regional areas of Australia who are looking for skilled workers and can’t find a skilled Australian worker.


  • Be under the age of 45 (you may be exempt from this age if you meet the criteria)

  • You must be nominated by an employer (your sponsor) whose business is operating lawfully in Australia. You must also be employed in the nominated occupation.

  • You must have a satisfactory skills assessment. You do not need to re-do your skills assessment (unless it has expired) if you have completed one for a 482 visa.  

  • You must have been working in the nominated occupation for at least 3 years on a full-time basis.



    2. Labour Agreement Stream:


About this stream:


This is for employees who have employed a skilled worker who have a labour agreement.

A labour agreement is developed between the Australian government and employers.


  • Your nominated occupation must be under the Labour Agreement

  • You must be under 45

  • Must have a positive skills assessment if it s required under your labor agreement

  • You must have the level of English that is required in your labor agreement

  • You must have been working in the nominated occupation for at least 3 years on a full-time basis.


     3. Subsequent Entrant:


You can apply for this visa if your family members;

  1. Have lodged the 494 visa and their waiting for a decision or;

  2. Your family members visa has been granted


  • You must be under 45 years old

  • You will need to be nominated by the primary applicants' sponsor

  • You will need to meet functional English or pay the VAC 2


bottom of page